[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Ibuprofen dosage

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Mon Jul 11 18:47:21 EDT 2011

Penny Charlesworth answered this question for the UK audience. I will
answer for the USA audience. Childrens Ibuprofen also know as Childrens
Advil or Childrens Motrin contains 100 mg ibuprofen per 5 ml oral
suspension. It is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug, abbreviated
NSAID. The therapeutic dosage range  according to the British
Association of Rodentologists in 0.4 ml to 0.2 ml twice a day. When
administering children's ibuprofen start with 0.4 ml for the first 3 to
5 days then lower the dose to 0.2 ml for the remainder of the treatment.
The length of administration will be dependent upon the condition being
treated. Rimadyl also known as carprofen is the NSAID of first choice.
It has a long and safe history of use in cavies but requires a
prescription. Childrens ibuprofen is an over the counter NSAID. I always
advice clients to have it in their first aid kit. I am not a vet but I
volunteer as a cavy health advisor for Dr. Frank Bonsack DVM of the
Adventure Animal Hospital in Tampa Florida.
http://adventureanimalhospital.com/

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.