[Gpdd] HEALTH: Outdoor food

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Wed Jul 13 11:13:30 EDT 2011

Joanie,

I did get a smile out of imagining you trying to extract the medicine from
the bottle but then I realised that you have never done this before. You
figured it out so well done!!

Re the outdoor food.  With only one piggy to feed it is easy to wash your
plantain leaf or bunch of dandelions. Grass is a bit more fiddly but if you
want to wash it you can.

Puff may be wary of these new foods so introduce them one at a time. She may
not like them all. Piggies learn what is safe to eat from their mothers or
companions so my newly rescued piggies, who may have only ever had
supermarket veggies, are often unaware of all the tasty nibbles that are
available. It is never long before they see a resident member of the herd
tucking into forage and the new one is soon joining in.

My herd are, at this moment, contentedly munching away at a pile of
chickweed that I brough home from a client's garden. Fresh as can be and
full of goodness. Absolute silence here bar the sound of many little teeth
demolishing their treat. There are foraged foods in abundance here in
England at the moment and for their second course there is a box of vetch
collected from my farmer friend's field. My piggies love vetch. My herd
loves all plantains but some piggies prefer the broad leaved one to the
narrow leaved one or vice versa.

Finally a word of warning to anyone thinking of foraging. Make absolutely
sure that you know what you are picking. There are many wild foods that are
wonderful for piggies, not to mention that they are free - a great boon to
anyone with a herd - but there are also poisonous plants of which to beware.

Happy munching Puff.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.