[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Flashbang Fatbottom Still Losing Weight

Anderson, Jocelyn M jocelynm at umich.edu
Tue Jul 19 08:55:14 EDT 2011

Hi piggies and people,

Thanks for all the advice on Flashbang!! He recovered for a bit, but he's lost more weight and is now dangerously low in weight, and after yesterday's vet visit the vet doesn't know what's wrong.

Some background on what's been going on so far -
About two months ago, I noticed Flashbang was losing weight. He was acting fine, eating and drinking normally, not hiding in the pigloo. etc. I took him in because of the weight loss. His urine looked clear, but it tested for blood, so he was given antibiotics for the UTI.

Two weeks later, he wouldn't come out of his pigloo and wasn't acting himself, so back to the vet we went. X-Rays showed a bladder stone. He had that removed and was on metacam and another medicine (don't remember the name offhand.) The instructions for metacam said that he should take it until the medicine was gone, but after a month he started to lose weight again (he had gained some after the bladder stone was removed) so we called and asked if we could stop the medicine. We did.

Still losing weight, we went back to the vet. More blood in the urine and was put on SMZ TMP for two weeks. His urine has cleared up, but the weight loss continued.

He looks like trying to eat, but stops. He takes one nibble and then turns away. I have gotten him to eat watermelon for a few bites and that's about it.

Yesterday I took him back to see what the issue is. I thought maybe it could be his teeth. The front teeth looked okay, but she couldn't see the back. The vet thought he might be feeling nauseous and to suggested getting blood work done, but when they tried to get blood he was so thin that he passed out and they had to put him on oxygen. Right now he's being fed critical care and water to get his strength back for the blood work in a few days.

Last night he was eating the critical care for a bit (didn't eat too much but he was interested in eating), this morning he wasn't as interested but I did get some in. Also gave him some water via syringe, too. Any advice would be great!

Thanks,
Jocelyn, Flashbang Fatbottom, Edgeworth, and Benito