[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Flashbang Fatbottom Still Losing Weight

ME me at buddies.org
Tue Jul 19 14:45:15 EDT 2011

I'm sorry to hear that Flashbang is not doing that well.  I have found that hand feeding pigs when sick, even when not losing weight, helps in recovery and probably avoids some problems.  When they aren't losing weight, I only do it a couple times a day, but it does get them used to it for the time when I may need to do it every couple hours.

UTIs and stones can be very long and difficult illnesses to deal with ... sometimes requiring meds for months, often changing meds several times.  Two weeks is not enough time for a stubborn infection ... two weeks of meds after symptoms are completely gone is a minimum.  Most antibiotics can be given with food ... so I usually hand feed after giving antibiotics.

For hand feeding, I usually hand feed dry pellets.  I just push it back to the molars, being careful to bypass the teeth.  If I have a really weak pig (or one with a really nervous manner), I syringe feed canned pumpkin.  I also syringe water laced with a bit of vit C, usually around 10 ml.  Each session is about 30 minutes.