[Gpdd] Health; Flashbang

M Fug mfug at live.co.uk
Wed Jul 20 07:16:06 EDT 2011

Hi Jocelyn, sorry to hear that Flashbang is still losing weight, the symptoms you described are almost identical to Fugly's when he had kidney stones, no obvious blood in the urine just acting in pain, slow weight loss and days where he refused to eat.

With Fugly he refused to eat because he was in pain as soon as I gave him painkiller (childrens nurofen 0.4ml twice a day) he would pick right up and eat by himself I was also hand feeding him as ME suggests and giving him lots of attention.

Is it possible Flashbang could have more stones somewhere like his kidneys? My vet advised me kidney stones in piggies are rare but she had noticed an increase recently maybe your vet has not encountered them and so hasnt looked? If that hasnt been checked I would get it checked, they are inoperable but there are things you can do to help Flashbang if that is the problem especially if found early.

Personally I would give Flashbang painkillers (Anne recommended 1 that is available in the US) as pain will stop him functioning normally including eating. I would also treat as if he had another stone so give hydrangea root extract or rowantinex as Anne mentioned, keep up the syringe feeding try different mixes to find what he likes Fugly loved weetabix mashed up with a bit of honey whereas Spooky prefers his normal dried food mashed with boiling water and allowed to cool.

I wish Flashbang all the best and hope that this is a temporary blip and he will be bouncing back soon.

Big hugs for you I know exactly what you are going through and can still remember sobbing my heart out while syringe feeding Fugly, I really really hope you get a better outcome but be prepared to help the little guy over the rainbow bridge not everything can be cured yet.

Here is link to all the info posted on blog at the time in case you havent seen it http://undercoverguineapigs.blogspot.com/2010/10/kidney-stones.html