[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Mimi and Noromectin and fungus

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Fri Jul 22 10:41:34 EDT 2011

Dear Jamie,
Noromectin is just the generic equivalent of Ivermectin 1.0% for
injection. I use it on my piggys. Here is a link from Gorgeous Guineas
that helps you determine if your piggy has a fungal or a mite infection.
http://gorgeousguineas.com/indentification.html
It also has great pictures. I would recommend you do the tug test on
Mimi's hair. It sounds like she has a fungal infection. Fungal
infections start under the skin. Usually if the cavy has dark skin then
you will see large amounts of dark dandruff. You will see white dandruff
on a light skinned cavy. At Piggyville we use povidone iodine shampoo to
treat fungal infections of the skin. I give one bath a week for 3 weeks.
It is important to give a good friction rub while bathing to remove all
of the dead hair and skin. The povidone iodine shampoo must stay on for
10 minutes. If Mimi is suffering from dry skin due to the many baths you
can apply aloe vera gel or any good moisturising lotion to her skin.
Also, keep in mind that fungal infections of the skin can become fungal
infections of the throat and gi tract from Mimi grooming herself. Please
see what I wrote about Fatbottom part 1 regarding the use of anti fungal
drugs. I am not a vet but I volunteer for Dr. Frank Bonsack DVM of
Adventure Animal Hospital as a cavy health advisor.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.