[Gpdd] BEHAVIOR: Floyd & Horatio - The Honeymoon is Over!

warmbreath warmbreath at comcast.net
Mon Jun 6 22:48:59 EDT 2011

Dear Pat,   This is a case of Horatio becoming an adult boar and challenging
Floyd for top boar spot.  This is the time of Horatio's sexual maturity too,
so the constant mounting is him trying out those newer feelings and it
drives him  to attempt at becoming boss boar. That's the easy part.

In most case they will settle it with possibly a change of leadership
coming.  I have seen extreme consciousness and intelligence in the decisions
the piggies make. It could be that Floyd will make the decision to ceded
leadership in order to have a peaceful partnership with Horatio as he is
clearly distressed when Horatio is removed at night. But can Floyd give up
that top spot, and will Horatio back down on his sexual demands once he wins
so as to not continually try Floyd's patience?

These are decisions the 2 piggies should make if it can be done safely. In
the meantime you need to be extremely alert to discover if one or the other
comes to serious aggravation as it may end up in a serious fight.  I think
there are going to be skirmishes, but if it ever gets to the point where
they fight so fast their legs are a blur, then its time for you to step in
fast with a thick towel.

In the meantime, keep 2 pigloos, 2 food dishes, and 2 water bottles and more
toys than necessary, that way no one can try to starve the other one out.
Make sure their cage is big enough. 48 inches by 24 at least, preferably 12
more inches wide or one more creative cube. Tensions will be always provoked
if the space is too small and it shortens their lives.

You explain it really well, Floyd loves Horatio and wants the status quo to
remain, Horatio wants to try out his wings and be boss, if Floyd lets him it
may work our or if Horatio gives in it will work really well. , you have
established that neither is a shrinking violet. The only place I'm not sure
of your interpretation is where you say Floyd chases with apparent serious
intent. Since he loves Horatio I think it’s a bluff but a serious bluff and
tempers fueled by hormones can snap.

BUT you cant trifle too much with their health and safety. So watch allot,
hold/loved them each esp. Floyd, So I think I would separate them at night
and when you will be gone during the day. But to maintain their bond make it
2 cages in touch with other so they can lie next to one another if they
want.  Once they start sleeping next to each other and Horatio shows
distress when separated (may or may not happen) then it's time to take down
the barrier.  It's up to you to decided how much time together, if they are
too separate then they may go there separate ways, Floyd can get his
heartbroken  As long as they can be nose to nose most of the time. Go over
each pig every day to make sure there aren't any puncture wounds, they can
be hard to find, and keep first aid supplies, like Betadyne or Hibiclens and
sterile pads and paper tape.  (Don’t use iodine or Hibiclens on mouth or eye
would or on genital tissues. Because their teeth are sharp and long the can
go deep so if you find a wound call your vet to find out if he should be
evaluated.  Hopefully you have a piggy savvy vet, if not try to find one.
See if any of us have one in your area, or check with Guinea Lynx, or lets
get hold of Ann.  Also many of the States have active House Rabbit Societies
that maintain lists of bunny savvy vets in their state, bunny savvy  vets
are most often pretty piggy savvy.  I say this so you can be prepared.

In closing it’s a delicate dance, too much freedom can lead to life  long
bond or a disaster. Too little time together and they may not be able to
maintain the bond. And there is real danger tempers could snap, was once
snapped they can recover if separated till their tempers cool.  Rewards and
hazards, You are the dance teacher.
very good luck  Sandy

Hi everyone,

In the past few days, my adult boar Floyd and my four-month-old boar
Horatio, who have just been living together  a couple of months, have really
started to bicker.

Horatio is a little guy with a big attitude, and the trouble seems to have
started with him repeatedly attempting to mount Floyd, who of course does
not appreciate this at all!   At first Floyd would just rumble and chitter
at Horatio, which would make Horatio back off at least temporarily, but
Floyd now seems to be really losing patience.  In the past few days, I've
seen him chatter his teeth loudly, turn around and snap at Horatio, then
chase him around the cage several times, apparently with fairly serious
intent.  When this happens, Horatio backs off, hides for a while and seems
really fearful of Floyd, but unfortunately this common sense effect doesn't
last long.

Last night I saw a few exchanges between them during floor time that worried
me enough about leaving them locked up together that I dragged the
quarantine cage (which is quite small) upstairs and put Horatio in that
overnight, just for safety.  Horatio was irritated at being in the small
cage that he couldn't see out of very well, but he settled in quickly and
ate everything as usual.  Floyd, on the other hand, was very upset, hardly
ate at all overnight and kept wandering around the cage, looking in all the
corners for Horatio.  This morning, I ended up putting them back in together
and they seemed quite amicable for the moment.

Now I don't know how to proceed.  Is this something I need to let them sort
out themselves?  Floyd is not a bad-tempered pig and has really been quite
patient with Horatio, but he is so much bigger that I'm worried he will do
some serious damage before Horatio gets some sense into his little head!

                                                              Pat S.