[Gpdd] Fw: Health: Ariel

warmbreath warmbreath at comcast.net
Tue Jun 21 00:08:00 EDT 2011

Dear  Jean, Is there some of rule running the universe that says when you
need a vet they are nowhere! GRRRR!  Seriously this could be a big deal,
could be as simple as hair in the gut going thru to the poops and stringing
them together like pearls.   I would run over to Guinea Lynx and see if they
have anything on the subject, and I will put a shout out for Ann if she is
available as I haven't heard of this specifically except for the hair
diagnosis.

My personal, non professional opinion is to use gloves,  lay some of these
poops out on a a flat white surface that can be sterilized or thrown away,
use a mask too, as this may be a parasite problem and you are going to have
to get close to see and smell to evaluate the output.  Some parasites are
communicable. It could also be as simple as hair getting in the poops.
Remember Mimi was loosing hair, we haven't talked about the outcome there
yet but sometimes other piggies barber their friends, you, or themselves. So
get all masked up with gloves and mask, tease apart these poops with
toothpicks and see, with magnifying glass, microscope if you have one (or
your kid does). Note if the odor or texture is different, tease apart the
poos, see what's stringing them together, see why they are in balls instead
of poop shapes. You might be able to tell if it's hair right off. It might
be more mysterious or involve parasites so cleanliness is paramount.

Vets do a fecal float, I think they mash the poos slightly, which you should
do anyway after your initial inspection so you can see what's inside the
poos, then put the fecal matter in normal saline (salt and water in specific
proportions) in a small clear bottle you can see the contents well from all
sides, let it sit until the matter separates, and see if you can observe
live things in there (esp. floating)  or in the water or any other component
of  the matter itself. If you do see some thing live you for sure need to
give the antiparasitic treatment. The water you use for this test should be
as close to normal saline (small amount of salt and boiled water as
possible) because water with too much or too little salt in it kills the
organisms and causes them to swell and explode or at least dis-corporate
(fall apart) in which case they cant be identified. Draw pictures for the
vet or who ever you consult with.

If you want to make it simpler do the process enough to find out if it's
hair, which is a strong possibility. Find out where the hair is coming from
(the food bowl is common if not barbering), get rid of the hair and give a
small mount of olive oil or mineral oil to coat the hair and make sure it
continues to go thru, should be fast to clear up. I'd guess a day or two.
Olive oil is digested, mineral oil isn't, which biases me against it, but
for maybe not for sound scientific reasons.  Check the diet for very
stringy veggies too like celery,celery should be cut up cause of those
strings.

If its not hair, treat for parasites with Panacur and ivermectin, and call
the vet as soon as he returns with the results of all your notes and tests.
If it's parasites that too should clear up quickly in a couple days too.  If
it persists at all, or is causing pain, the poos are more or less volume
than usual, etc. lets us know but try hard to find a piggy savvy emergency
vet.

Through away or sterilize everything, though out, or dispose cleanly. Give
the piggies the Adams shampoo bath and keep up the gas relief drops and
massage  her tummy as well. love and respect  Sandy