[Gpdd] HEALTH: "Goofy" Little Pig

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Wed Jun 22 15:41:09 EDT 2011

Pat,

Your Primrose sounds just like my Goldie from years back, the only
difference being that Goldie had a definite head tilt. I knew the lady that
bred Goldie and she said that she was born that way. She suspected that this
was due to oxygen deprivation at the moment of birth. She knew that I would
care for Goldie, a lovely Alpaca, who lived here for many years.

Goldie always circled to the left so if she wanted to go right she just did
a big circle until she got there. She grew to be a big piggy with an
enormous appetite and happily mixed with her pen mates.

I also had Topaz, a lovely Peruvian, who was born with both a head tilt and
micropthalmia. She circled too but not as noticeably as Goldie and who lived
with her litter sister, Ash, who was OK.  Currently I have dear little Otto,
who has a mild head tilt but still circles to some degree.

None of these three particularly enjoyed being picked up. I believe that the
brain injury that they sustained at birth caused disorientation when they
were moved. Otto is fine once I have hold of him but he much prefers staying
on the floor with his friend.

My Dorian, who you know about, and who I call my ADHD piggy runs in circles,
usually doing circuits of his pen but when he is eagerly awaiting his lemon
balm and parsley in the morning, he sometimes spins or does little circles
running around one leg of the plastic stool that is his favourite hidey. The
Rodentologists can find no reason for this. He is just made that way.

The other possibility is that your Primrose has an ear infection, which can
cause circling. Have your vet check her out. It may be that the circling
could be cured with antibiotics as she does not have the tilt.

My Rodentologists have a piggy who circles. They believe that this is a
legacy of an untreated ear infection but he came to them too late for
treatment.

Finally, thank you for taking in this little piggy, who now has a safe and
loving home. Welcome Primrose!

Penny and the Piggyfriends.