[Gpdd] [HEALTH ]Ariel

warmbreath warmbreath at comcast.net
Wed Jun 22 17:43:31 EDT 2011

Dear Jean,
Whee here are so very glad to hear Ariel is doing so much better. Hopefully the worst is over. But “Air Bubbles”  this is such a mystery, has any one else on GPDD ever had this, or anything similar.  Please do keep up with your excellent nursing, my experience is that piggies slip back when whee stop hovering over them, so I would keep up the extra nursing duties for a few weeks, esp. when her meds are used up.  Your swimming pool play pen seems perfect to keep her moving, she should keep up that up as well as the Critical Care feeding, the oil, the extra water. Feeling her tummy for gas or hardness is great too.

If it is possible I would get her seen by her regular vet to see if he can diagnose the bubbles. Is there a sample left for analysis? Maybe along with a fresh sample.  This is one of the few cases where I would get a fecal float, although it seems much less likely that parasites were the cause since you said she was treated for parasites.  Was that done before she was ill or after, and did she get ivermectin and Panacur both?  Keep the simethicone up in normal doses and rub her tummy, elevate her hind end, and keep her moving to help move any gas moving on through. Was there any different smell? Be sure to tell your vet.  I’m not saying this to badger you but just trying to come to a diagnosis for her and for it to become known here on GPDD to help anyone who has a similar experience. Once whee know what it is its easier hopefully to come up with a preventative to ever happening again. Last please be sure your other pets are treated too for parasites as parasites do travel, and if it wasn’t parasites then whee still don’t know, and whee want to make sure its not passed to another piggie.  And lastly I would like to advise that the cage and furnishings are kept extra clean, keep her away from the other animals except her roommate, away from kids, and wash thoroughly after you get even close to her.  Don’t compost her waste, wrap it tight and dispose carefully.

Hopefully it is truly gone for good and was just some weird anomaly, you all must be very tired, but solid answers would be so much better.  Your good nursing paid off, just manage to keep up that great nursing and watchfulness, consult with her  regular vet, esp that the right dose is given of the meds and both antiparasitics  have been given, and see if diagnosis and therefore preventative can be identified. Whee keep our fingers and toes crossed for her and your family. Please recall I am not a professional and my advise cant be substituted for a cavy-savvy vet  Love Sandy and Sammy