[Gpdd] [Health] Ariels Progress

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Thu Jun 23 11:41:46 EDT 2011

Hi Jean,
Thank you for the good news. Could you please tell me where you live? Is
it Milan Italy? I am so happy to hear that Ariel has been wormed.
Parasites are the number one cause of diseases and death in cavies. Also
what anti inflammatory are you using? Cavies are very Rimadyl,
carprofen, tolerant. It is the best anti-inflammatory yet many vets who
use it with dogs and cats will not use it in cavies. If you have rimadyl
the standard dose would be 10mg twice a day for the first 5 days then
5mg twice a day for the next 5 days. But childrens ibuprofen will work
well. Is Ariel eating on her own? Will she eat pellets or are you still
syringe feeding her? It sounds like you are giving her great nursing
care. I am happy she is no longer suffering with bloat. I think the
childrens pool idea for an exercise pen is a great idea. Did the vet
look into her mouth so see if she had oral thrush? Often it is down in
the throat and can not be seen. At BAR we always treat cavies that have
gone off food or had dental problems with Daktarin oral gel. This is to
kill yeast and fungus that is always present in the air and on the hay
she eats. If a cavy goes off food the yeast starts to multiply out of
control in the gut causing gas and inflamed intestines. You can often
smell it on her breath it will smell like yeasty bread. We always used
it  when a cavy has gone off food. If I know where you live I can tell
you where to buy it and what other medications can be used in its place.
I always have Daktarin oral gel in my first aid kit. Ariel is very lucky
to have such a good cavy mom.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.