[Gpdd] Health; Ariel

warmbreath warmbreath at comcast.net
Fri Jun 24 09:18:38 EDT 2011

Yes I think you are right. In her haste and worry, and perhaps in mine too, I first interpreted that there was something clear but solid and empty coming out along with odd poo's, then Joan described it more clearly as not like bags or solids and it did then seem much more like bubbles. So it comes down to more like bubbles coming out along with poop and that does make me think of gas being passed that was mixed in and trapped by  stools with liquid than normal that the gas got trapped in rather than being passed as gas or farts.

If this is the diagnosis, Joan's nursing probably saved precious Ariel as she already had her on simethicone or Baby Gas Drops, by the time the first email was sent. Ann Okayed a 10X normal dose of simethicone to be used while gas is present, its one drug you don’t have to worry about overdose. And she listed again all the nursing steps used to encourage gas to escape, Joan used the swimming pool with her friend to keep her active, and there were tummy rubs. All these are just the right treatments.

I think now Joan should try to think back to the hours or days before the bubbles were first noted especially to what Ariel was eating or doing, a different food perhaps, more fresh than normal, was she extra thirsty, as there was a liquid in the stools, or maybe that came from something making here gut squeeze more than normal. Was she outside free ranging and free eating, maybe she got pepper, tomato, or eggplant leaves, or potato leaves, flower bulbs, something that may be toxic in in leaf form, or could she have eaten onions or garlic. There are tons of things. if there is a garden maybe just some stagnant water or grass or anything that may have been sprayed? Bird poop, and insect, who knows? But the exercise of trying to remember what she may have gotten into may pin point the cause of her bloat which would be great so it wouldn’t be repeated. Indoors chocolate is deadly.

Happily since Ariel had had her parasite treatments anything with parasites in it has been either cleared up or prevented depending on when the treatments occurred.

I think Joan should check with her vet to update him or check with Ann for the same purpose to see if this indeed the most likely diagnosis and if that means any of the other meds can be stopped. Please note I am not recommending that myself. Also some thought for a good set of probiotics  should be used while she is on antibiotics and after since her gut has already been insulted by an unknown reason and we don't want to send her back into bloat. Also Joan can check to see if isolation is still required and if so when it might be discontinued.

Joan should continue to hover over her to catch any return, we all know bloat is very serious, happily cured this time, but care to be given to finding the cause and finding out how to avoid a recurrence.

Continued return to health are my wishes for Ariel  M, I think you got it.  Sandy and Sammy