[Gpdd] HEALTH: Worming protocol

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Thu Jun 30 08:29:28 EDT 2011

Don't panic Joanie. You can do this and practice makes perfect. That's easy
for me to say after doing this many hundreds if not thousands of times but
you will get the hang of it and Puff will be safe from parasites.

Have a read of our Ann's protocol. Bookmark it for future use as she will be
adding to her website when time permits.

http://piggyville.com/index.php?id=9

Now, make sure that you have the correct meds. That's the most important
thing. You should have 2.5% Panacur and 1% Ivermectin.

Shake the Panacur bottle well as it separates out. Then draw up 0.4ml of the
mixture. Watch the little graduations on the side of your 1ml. needleless
syringe. Pop it into Puff.

My Ivermectin comes in a special dropper dispenser so I only have to put two
drops of it into piggy with no measuring required. Puff needs 0.2ml so if
yours has not come this way, you need to remove 0.2ml from the container.
You could draw it up using a syringe with a needle and then remove the
needle to give it orally to Puff or, if you only have a needleless syringe,
make sure that it is sterile and dip it into the Ivermectin and draw up the
required amount. It is a very small amount so look very carefully at the
numbers on the side of the syringe.

Puff may not like it so give her a treat afterwards so that she forgets
about the procedure.

To complete the protocol give Puff a bath in Ann's recommended shampoo as
you will be unable to buy the one that I use here in the UK.

Diarise this event for three months time when she will need another dose of
both the Panacur and the Ivermectin.

I am not a vet but have been following the CCT ( Cambridge Cavy Trust )
protocol for very many years. People use slightly differng methods of this
protocol. I give these meds as a preventative but if a piggy arrived here
with mites I would give the Ivermectin as two, maybe three separate doses
with 14 days between them. I give the Panacur just once every three months.

Here is something else to read.

http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=47407

I expect that more members will post with advice.

Best of luck.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.