[Gpdd] Health: Reese needs vet help, quickly!

Tex texg at cavyinfo.com
Sun Mar 6 17:53:10 EST 2011

Hi , all - sorry I've been absent for such a long time. Only so many
hours in a day :-(

ME: I hope Reese is hanging in there. Don't waste valuable time looking
for rare or unheard-of conditions when there are clear-cut indications
of what the problem may be. There is enough documented evidence (see the
GuineaLynx article cited below) that Reese has a heart problem. He needs
proper treatment by a knowledgeable exotics vet, and if your vet is
unsure she can certainly go online and find answers. There are many
vet-only forums to get information, as well as sites such as
GuineaLynx.com.

Your original post describes the symptoms of congestive heart
failure/pulmonary edema. Gasping for air and fluid around the
lungs/heart are strong indications. If Reese is bloated, it is because
he is swallowing air trying to breathe. Guide your vet to this page on
GuineaLynx: http://www.guinealynx.info/heart.html  It describes the
problem in detail, as well as guidelines on medication.

As many people know, even though I'm not a vet, I've had enough years of
experience (and lessons learned) - as well as interactions with
highly-skilled exotics vets - that I can make an educated guess at some
problems.

Tex