[Gpdd] MISC A Piggy Dilemma

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Tue Mar 8 10:24:36 EST 2011

One of the clients of the Piggyfriends' Rodentologists runs a small piggy rescue, from which she rehomes piggies in need. A few weeks ago she had more piggies than she had room in which to put them. Amongst these were a group of six Sheltie sows, who had belonged to a lady who was moving into a women's refuge and discovered that she could not take her piggies with her.

Our Rodentologists ( I'll call them C & T because it takes up a lot of space keep typing in the word and I know that the Mods are now hot on overlong stories ) can often help out with a bit of rehoming amongst their clients. They only do this for people that they know will care for the piggies. Someone might need one as a companion for a bereaved piggy or might want to increase their herd. There are several people like me who can usually take in one or two more.

Another lady, who has a herd of rescues like mine said that she could probably take four of these girls and I said that I could take the ones that she did not. I can always add an extra sow or two into one of my sow groups as they have large pens.

The rescue lady delivered these girls to C & T. After seeing them, they did not have the heart to split up a group who may have been together all of their lives. What if one of the first four's best friend was one of the two that I was going to have. What a dilemma.

In the end, C & T decided to keep them all for themselves in a large cage. C says that it makes a change to care for six healthy piggies instead of hospital patients. I saw them last week when I called in to buy piggy shampoo. They are gorgeous and certainly look like a family - mostly white with a little grey, except for one who is totally grey and they have red eyes, which I love. Such pretty girls. Maybe two mothers with their daughters? Maybe three mothers with one daughter each? It is hard to tell but they live peacefully together as a little unit.

So I do not have new Piggyfriends to announce............yet.

The same rescue lady has three young neutered boars in need and one of my sow pens does not have a neutered boar in it. They were delivered to C & T yesterday and I am going to see them tomorrow afternoon. Of course I will come home with one and will let you know what happens.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.