[Gpdd] [Health] Reese Update

scalabro3 at cfl.rr.com scalabro3 at cfl.rr.com
Tue Mar 8 23:52:30 EST 2011

Hi. Thanks to all who have expressed concern about Reese. We received some very good news today. After removing 20 ccs of fluid from his chest on Friday, and another 10 ccs on Saturday, Reese went in for another xray today and his little chest was clear of fluid.  We still don't have a report from the cytologist, but Lymphoma is the most probable diagnosis according to the vet.  Sandy and Ann have contacted me about the possibility that this is heart worm related. He began Ann's protocol for heartworm three days ago and seems to be doing much better.  Ann was kind enough to call me about him this weekend and she gave me a lot of great information. When things are less crazy here, I'll put together a post listing all the medications the little guy has been on.  Right now he's not quite back to his old self, but he seems to be heading in that direction. Long term, I'm not sure what his prognosis will be, but we're very grateful for the past few days with him. He's been such a little trooper!

Chakalaka seems to be doing much better also. He's finally on the antibiotics that Ann recommended when this first started, and we hope that he will have a full recovery soon. Because it took so long to get to the right antibiotic, he will probably be on antibiotics for another two weeks, but then I hope that we can stop the medication and critical care as soon as possible.  He must be feeling better. He's really fighting me when its time for his meds.

Donovan's tooth trimming went very well, and he's eating well. His broken tooth is growing back quickly. Ann said that I could leave Twinkie's cyst alone. Given all the time (and money) I've spent at the vet this month, I'm glad to follow that advice.

Wishing all of you a happy candle lighting tomorrow (or today for those of you on the other side of the world)!

Best Wishes,

ME in New Smyrna Beach