[Gpdd] MISC: update on piglets

Anneli Cochrane arcochrane at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 21:22:00 EDT 2011

So turns out I am not as good at sexing piglets as I thought I was. My
piglets are almost 2 weeks old, named and everything, and I had to flip the
sexes as "Ginger" turned out to be a boy and "Leo" is a girl. So "Ginger"
has been renamed "Teddy" because he looks like a teddy bear...and I'm still
debating over Leo's new name, I think maybe it will be "Clover" since she
was born on St. Patrick's Day. I thought about sexing them again today as I
noticed that Teddy was displaying behavior I always associate with male
pigs, he was doing a lot of "burring" around his mom and circling, turns out
he is a male! Since he is already displaying this behavior at 2 weeks, do I
definitely need to take him away from his mom at 4 weeks? These piglets were
well developed at birth (they were born at 73 days) and I have read both 4
weeks and 5 weeks in age to separate them from mom. So any suggestions would
be appreciated.
P.S. Clover (formerly Leo's) eye has healed perfectly and she looks great.

Also, Pat S., I definitely think you should get some of your pigs together,
they are made to be in groups! However, some may live together better than
others; it may be trial and error for a while as you figure out who lives
the best together. In my experience it helps if they each have their own
"house" inside the cage. Good luck! :)