[Gpdd] MISC: update on piglets

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Wed Mar 30 06:57:00 EDT 2011

Anneli,

I am so pleased to read that little Clover's eye has healed up. I had a
Clover pig many years ago who was a delight.

Sexing piglets is never easy and everyone makes mistakes. I remember Peter
Gurney saying that, even wearing his best glasses, he had missexed baby
piggies. I hope that you have it right now!

I sometimes have babes born here when I take in a pregnant sow and I always
take the boys away from their family when they are 3 weeks old. Babes are
born so well developed that there is no need for the boys to stay with their
mother any longer.

I once took in what I was told were four six week old baby girls that had
been housed together. I immediately discovered that one of these babes was a
boy and I removed him but it was already too late. The little girls were all
pregnant and went on to have thirteen babes between them, eight boars and
five sows. Imagine the population explosion that could have occurred if I
had left all of them together for five weeks!

My Rodentologists told me a story of a group of girls all made pregnant by
the 3/4 week old son of one of them so be warned and do not leave your Teddy
in with his mother any longer than 3 weeks.

Guinea Lynx also recommends 3 weeks as some boars develop earlier than
others.

http://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html

Penny and the Piggyfriends.