[Gpdd] [Care] housing piglets

warmbreath warmbreath at comcast.net
Wed Mar 30 14:44:53 EDT 2011

I would like to add my voice to Penny's about the relative ease and
convenience of housing piggies in groups, and stress the benefits to the
piggies who are so amazingly sociable animals and really need to live
together.
After the initial quarantine and anti parasite treatments, the prospective
room mates can live next door to each other until they start napping next to
each other.  Penny's idea of introducing them on neutral ground is a time
tested way to success. I  also had success by just lifting the barrier
between them, with a large fresh salad as diversion after living side by
side, and very often this works.  Always have a couple towels on hand to
drop on them if they do
fight.

One note of caution, piggies need room and its just as bad to crowd a duo or
trio as a singleton. I use 2 x 4 ft. as a min for one and go up from there.
In my early years before "Neat Idea Cubes" I would keep piggies in the
dinning room as it was the hub of the home, in the largest Rubbermaid tubs.
These were ok for two but I noticed after a while that if I added a third to
that size the death rate from all causes went up, so I saw that as a
crowding issue, there weren't fights, so obviously I adjusted to better
sizes for higher numbers, the Neat Idea Cubes are great for this but don’t
count on one high to keep different sexes apart, four feet is the safest,
three feet usually works.  I kept sows and boars in the same room separated
by sex but in groups and without any fighting.

The sows are really best kept in gangs of several, a boss pig will emerge
and an entire pecking order develops. If one is too picked-on they can be
rehomed either with a neutered male or a different group of sows. Groups and
leaders are fluid, and while the boss pig may rule long, when she gets older
some young sow will come along and replace her, but I never had a case where
the deposed boss couldn’t find someone to live happily with, but you may
need to assist. The important thing is too allow  transitions just watching
to make sure no one gets hurt and take action if things get out of hand.  A
new pair or group can be separated at night for a while if you are really
worried about a pairing, do this till all settles down. I just use the high
barrier between the sexes, different same sex groups are usually safe with a
one foot barrier, and if a fight breaks out a pig may pop-up and out of the
enclosure and you will find him wandering around the next day, I think it’s
a reflex they use when in danger and is related to their popcorning
abilities. So that means the lower barriers are safer esp for boars. I never
had a pig break into another's home to pick a fight.

One neutered male (I didn’t often neuter) can live with several sows and is
a good solution for those few sows who cant seem to live peacefully with
girls..  The key is to watch your piggy-vision often and long so you know
how everyone is getting along, if anyone is picked on or unhappy, and you
can see this. One thing though is to realize that these piggies make long
lasting deep bonds with one another, and as long as the squabbles are few
don’t do too much re-arranging, they want to stay with their friends.  Also
I had duos and trios of boars living very successfully.  Just never crowd
and provide multiple water and food bottles, pigloos etc, so no one can
claim or hog a  food dish to the exclusion of other pigs. Also water bottle
accidents can and do happen so there should be two in every set up even for
a singleton.  Be watchful and flexible, the piggies will almost always sort
it out.  Sandy and Sammy