[Gpdd] Peter Gurney: The Light that Went Round the World

Guineapigfilms at aol.com Guineapigfilms at aol.com
Wed Mar 30 21:50:50 EDT 2011

What a lovely tribute to Peter Gurney! So much thanks to Audrey and Gordon
(her secretary) for helping to make this an annual tradition! It's so
wonderful to be remembering Peter every year, as well as our other dearly departed
GPDD friends (including Alge) and piggies. I know that Peter would be
pleased as punch to have this kind of memorial.

Also, I wanted to mention that the abbreviation for "Kansas" is "KS"
instead of "KA."

I have so many wonderful memories of Peter, as I accompanied him and his
piggies on his rounds at the Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children. He was
so good with the kids (and their parents). He made everything so much fun,
even lunch in the Peter Pan Cafe! And I loved visiting him at his flat to
see all his piggies, including the free-range ones. (You had to be really
careful where you stepped!) Peter had some fabulous photos he'd taken of the
piggies--playing guitar, posed beside historic monuments in London, etc. His
guinea pigs were his life.

He had this wonderful wooden contraption (that he'd built himself) which he
used to transport his piggies to the hospital. It had wheels on the bottom,
sort of like an enclosed wheelbarrow! We even took it on the Tube
(Underground subway)! And he was always singing softly to himself or humming, even in
the grim hallways of the hospital.

Can you tell how much Alyssa and I loved him?   ;-)

Anyway, I just am overwhelmed that, all these years later, he is still
being remembered on an annual basis by this Candle Lighting Ceremony. I feel so
fortunate to be able to participate. So lovely!

So thanks again to all those involved!!!

Love and WHEEEEEEEPS,

Nancy & Alyssa and the Very Vocal Otto the Guinea Pig
Remembering the Guinea Pig Movie Stars
http://www.carrotwars.com