[Gpdd] Misc; American Tornadoes

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Wed May 25 13:06:51 EDT 2011

I have heard from Susi and she and her piggies are safe. She drove through
Joplin the day before the tornado hit, on her way back from a cavy show
which was held 50 miles NE of that town and has friends who live there, whom
she has heard are safe too. So many people are not so lucky.

She says the weather is terrifying and, last night, she was ready to
evacuate herself and her piggies to a shelter but the roads were so bad with
all that rain and the lightning too that she decided to stick it out.
Algernon Rat was safe in her purse in case he needed to escape too. His
arrival in the US has been filled with danger!

I told her about our discussion regarding what to have to hand in an
emergency and she says that she keeps a lidded gallon water jug filled and
has their feed and other supplies in plastic bins with tight fitting lids.
Carriers and towels are always to hand, ready to load piggies in any
emergency. She has a lot of piggies and needs to be prepared.

She was writing an article about emergency supplies for the ACBA cavy
journal when her laptop was stolen and has never finished it.

We do moan about the weather in England but, on the whole, we are fortunate.
I have occasionally thought about what I would do in such a situation. Even
if I were flooded, which is unlikely as I do not live anywhere near a river,
we would be safe on the next two floors.

I have plenty of carriers, which are kept in one of my piggy rooms so they
could all be loaded up ready for an escape, provided I had enough notice. I
would throw a bale of hay into the back of my car and load the piggies
around it. I can't envisage any situation in the south of England which
would prevent me buying veggies and I would take my shears so that I could
get grass for the herd as this is available nearly all year round. I would
head for my Rodentologist's house, where they could all be boarded and I
hope that she would do the same if the circumstances were reversed.

I hope that any of our members who live in tornado areas are safe.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.