[Gpdd] MISC: update on my pigs & severe weather comment

Anneli Cochrane arcochrane at gmail.com
Thu May 26 12:48:19 EDT 2011

Hi everyone, I haven't written in a while! The discussion about severe
weather preparation for pigs was in my head last night as I was frantically
running down into our basement with supplies trying to construct a makeshift
area for pigs. Fortunately, the tornado hit a couple miles from us and we
did not suffer any damage. However, I was completely unprepared to take the
pigs to the basement, which is not good!
As I'm sure all of us are aware, no matter how good our cavy food is, it
will eventually have no Vitamin C in it, so it is definitely important to
keep replacing the food & hay in our kits. I picture myself making a cavy
kit and then forgetting about it! So I think it's important for all of us to
keep up on these kinds of things; I don't want to be stuck in an emergency
situation with bad food and/or old supplies.
My "babies" which are no longer babies, are 10 weeks old now. Teddy is
adjusting to living by himself, mostly because I cuddle him all the time, he
is such a sweet boy. He is definitely becoming a Texel, and I just love
petting him, his fur is so cool. I took some family pictures the other day
of momma Flower and her two pigs, which I will post when I get a chance.
Flower and her girl Clover have moved back in with my other girls Nutmeg and
her daughter Cinnamon (they were living by themselves), so it is now a full
house. As many of you know, I lost the father of Teddy and Clover 2 weeks
before they were born. As the babies grow up they have many similarities to
their dad; I really wish he was still here. Bailey was a beautiful orange
and cream, and Flower is a darker red with white & brown. The babies are
orange with some white mixed it, giving them a strawberry blonde appearance.
Such beautiful pigs, but I am kind of partial since I am their human mom! :)
Hope everyone is safe & healthy!
Anneli