[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Suture material and vets

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Wed Nov 16 08:24:32 EST 2011

Dear Ellen,
I feel your anger, disappointment and desire for retribution over the
issue of the non dissolving suture material.
First of all Dr. King and his staff are humans and they made a mistake.
Personally when I do surgery all of my instruments, drugs and suture
materials are laid our and labeled prior to the patient being brought
into the room. But everyone has their own way of running their surgery.
I also record in the medical record the surgical protocol and list all
drugs and disposables used. Non-dissolving sutures will not hurt your
cavy. Thank God he did not use cat gut sutures which can cause terrible
skin reactions in cavies. Since you were told that dissolvable sutures
were used and now you have the extra expense of taking your cavy to the
vet to have the sutures removed it would only be fair that the vet
office not charge you for this extra procedure and credit your account
for your time and money spent driving to the office. Hopefully they can
use this as a learning experience and make sure they record in the
medical record the type of sutures used. Also they should send home
written instructions on how the patient should be cared for during
recovery and what bad symptoms you should keep a lookout for.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.