[Gpdd] Health: Mange Part 2

Sandra Oliver-Poore warmbreath at comcast.net
Mon Nov 28 02:12:59 EST 2011

I believe it a fact that when a piggie gets sick the always present small
amount of mites bloom like wildfire. So it can be cause and effect or effect
and cause, so to speak. He may have got such bad mange mites that his
defenses were compromised and he caught another illness, or he caught an
illness that caused his defenses to plunge and he became infested with
mites, they are very opportunistic.

A third thing is that mites are so awfully painful that he may be off feed.
So the cure is the same, he must have a very thorough going over to find any
other illness. The application of the ivermectin and panacur will make him
feel so much better he should start eating right way but keep close watch
and if need be start supplements and a bit of alfalfa if he doesn’t have
stones. Also be sure he gets his daily Vit. C and that he gets a proper
bath.  I use Adams in the round bottle not oval, and without claims of
killing eggs, just plain ole Adams. Penny mentioned a UK brand. Others use a
soothing oatmeal bath or just baby shampoo to wash all the dead ones away
and refresh his skin.
Of course all six must be treated and all the cages cleaned, floors washed
or vacuumed and the bag thrown out. Some mites can persist in the
environment.
Please remember I am not a vet or vet tech or vet anything, just a piggy
parent with many former piggies over many decades.   Good Luck,  Sandy and
Sammy