[Gpdd] Health: Mange Part 2

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 04:55:30 EST 2011

Joanne,

Just seconding Sandy's post.

Mange mites or their eggs can always be present. They can remain dormant
and they live just under a guinea's skin so you will not see them but if a
piggy is under stress, they proliferate and cause a great deal of distress.
Teddy might have another illness and the little devils have taken advantage
of this to proliferate. Or the misery of the mites might be putting him off
his food.

Don't wait for a skin scrape test to prove the problem. Give Teddy his
Ivermectin and kill off those little blighters.

My herd are treated preventatively with Ivermectin and Panacur every three
months. I don't wait for mange mites to show their ugly heads - I deal with
them before they start.

It seems that you are unlikely to be able to buy VetSect Repel in the US. I
think that it was Ann who told me this. This is a shame as it is a
wonderful anti parasite and anti fungal product but follow the instructions
for the Adams substitute. You need the shampoo to get rid of all the debris
- dead mites and eggs.

This regimen was devised by Peter Gurney and Vedra at the CCT ( Cambridge
Cavy Trust ) and our Rodentologists, who trained there, have slaves
bringing their piggies to them almost daily for the meds to be adminstered
and the piggy given a professional bath in VetSectRepel. I can buy this
from them or order it from Amazon UK and would not be without it.

All the very best to Teddy.

Penny and the squeaky clean Piggyfriends.