[Gpdd] [CARE] Just rescued a pair, new to GPs, what am I doing wrong?" Part 2

scalabro3 at cfl.rr.com scalabro3 at cfl.rr.com
Sat Oct 1 17:48:26 EDT 2011

Hi. Here's my post, Part 2...Hope it helps!

As far as water, I'm on the paranoid side. I usually have a bottle for each pig
plus a spare. I work in another town, so I worry that they will run out when I'm
gone or that a bottle will clog while I am away. We also installed a reverse
osmosis water filtration system in our home after we nearly lost one of our
little guys to what we thought was a stone, but it turned out to be a urinary
tract infection that just wasn't responding to the antibiotics the vet
prescribed. You might want to check with your water supply provider to see if
you are in an area with high calcium. If so, you can find RO water in bottles at
your local grocery or big box store. I'd remove any in-cage open top water bowls
because they get dirty too soon. I'm not sure where you are geographically, but
here in Florida, piggies are prone to getting fungal infections, so I try to
avoid extra sources of moisture.

Most piggies have bald patches behind their ears, so what you are describing
sounds normal. If you see any scaly skin or inflammation, it might be an
infection, but it is probably normal, so I'd just keep an eye on it and see a
vet if it changes.

Being non-verbal shouldn't be a problem for the piggies. As I'm sure you've
found, they have plenty of conversations between themselves, so they should be
just fine. The only potential problem that I can think of is that you might
startle them when you pick them up if they don’t know it’s you. I talk to my
more skittish piggies before I pick them up, so they know that it's me, but most
of them are pretty calm and need no warning.  If this is a problem with your
piggies, you might want to make a noise that they recognize before you pick them
up. Crinkling plastic (like the sound of the plastic hay bag being opened) seems
to be a universally "happy" sound for piggies. You might want to make that noise
before you interact with them so they know it's you, but most likely, they'll
recognize your footsteps or something else, and it won't be a problem.

Eating small amounts of cardboard or aspen shouldn't be a problem. I'd avoid the
fake logs that they sell in the big box mart in the US. They are made of waste
wood products and left open in the store, so they could be contaminated with
just about anything.  Instead, Ann Evans recommended that I pack hay in paper
bags for them. It has been great for them because they have something to chew
on, and it’s even better for me because of my hay allergy. I only have to put on
the tyvek and respirator once a month to pack their lunch bags, and then I have
very minimal contact with it. By the time I get home, they've eliminated just
about all of the hay.

I think that answers most of your questions. I’m sure that many others will
reply with more information. If you need anything else, please feel free to
email or post again. Good luck with your new little piggies. They are so lucky
to be with you. You’re doing great!

Best Wishes,

ME in New Smyrna Beach with Donovan, Reese, Chakalaka, Dilly Jr., Puffy, Cocoa
Puff, and Ghirardelli in our home and with Dillon and Twinkie Forever in our
Hearts