[Gpdd] [MISCELLANEOUS] Just a cute story.

Janna Willard janna.willard at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 23:33:03 EDT 2011

Today I picked up a parcel from the post office. It was from my brother in
Edinburgh; my birthday present. It was a stuffed toy guinea pig! It's black
and white, with the Dutch markings. I'll get some photos and upload and
share the links later. I named the toy Victor. He's a great addition to my
collection - I have a large Ty guinea pig, two guinea pig Beanie Babies, the
Blockbuster talking guinea pig from ten years ago, a guinea pig Beanie Baby
key chain, and two little baby-sized guinea pig stuffies, one of which makes
chattering noises when you squeeze it. Victor squeaks when you squeeze his
belly.

We got home and I gave Batman his floor time, and put Victor on the floor to
see what Batman would do, since Victor is about the same size as Guido was
and definitely the same colours.

Batman came right over, talking to Victor and smelling him, and he started
doing the rumblestrut! The entire time he was out, if I wanted him to come
to me, I just had to put Victor on the floor in a spot where Batman could
see him.

Obviously Batman needs another guinea pig to be his friend. I'm still
looking but may have to resort to the pet store after all. I'll make my
decision by the end of this week.

I am thinking about using my knitting and crocheting skills to make Batman a
guinea pig sized friend he can snuggle with in his cage. If I do this, what
kind of yarn should I use? I am thinking either natural cotton or bamboo,
with no dyes and minimal processing. Alternatively, I could use my sewing
skills to make him one, but again, what kind of fabric should I use?
Whichever I go with, what should I use for the stuffing? I'm not sure about
the wisdom of using polyfill on a toy that could end up being chewed on. I
do know, however, that some guinea pigs have stuffed toys that they haul
around with them as "friends" and I think Batman would enjoy that.

I also had a sympathy card from the vet's clinic in the mail today. I've
lost many cavies over the years, and this is the first time the vet has sent
a card. It's amazing how cared-for that makes a person feel.

-Janna, Batman, and now Victor! (And Roy the cat and Juniper the husband)

"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be
normal." Albert Camus
"I want to remake the world; anything less is not worth the trouble." Karen
Cushman