[Gpdd] BEHAVIOR: Re: Maggie's acting aggressive

Guineapigfilms at aol.com Guineapigfilms at aol.com
Wed Oct 12 18:36:06 EDT 2011

Joanie,

We've had several litters here through the years (when we've rescued
piggies who were already pregnant upon arrival at our home), and never had a
problem with the mother piggy becoming aggressive, even though one of our mother
piggies had diabetes and had to be treated regularly while she was still
nursing her babies.

I am wondering if Maggie could be sore somewhere, and that is how she's
telling you. She may not want you to pet her or "mess with her," if she is
hurting in some way. Mastitis from nursing?

Anyway, I have no idea, but you might want to get her checked out, if the
behavior continues. It doesn't seem to be related to you removing the babies,
but only to your directly doing something to HER. And, if she was sweet
before, it makes me worry even more that she's feeling some sort of pain (maybe
only upon physical contact) now.

These are just my thoughts, as I have no veterinary training, only direct
experience with 23+ rescued guinea pigs (some of them, movie stars)!

Love and WHEEEEEEKS,

Nancy
http://www.carrotwars.com