[Gpdd] Gpdd (Misc) (Finally settling in)

Ellen Garrison lola.garrison at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 05:58:32 EDT 2011

Well it takes what it takes. I am guilty of not being involved in the
virtual trips and so on and so forth. Whee moved in August, and now it is
October. Actually we moved in July, but it took til August to get all moved
in.  I took 3 wheeeks off from work. During this whole time, my Li'l Red
Saphire got systemic fungal infection. Thank God for Ann Evans and the new
vet whee go to. I was sooo sad and just want to say, Ann, without your
knowledge and expertise understanding of cavies, and your background in
rodentology, and also with help from Vedra Stanley Spatcher, I am pretty
sure we would have lost dear Li'l Red. I mean, they all go back to heaven
sooner or later, but learning of the way of destressing, and encouraging
happy lives while here on earth, this is paramount.
I have only now been catching up but not quickly.  I  had Li'l Red on
itraconazole for about 4 wheeks. Her teeth had gotten malocclused, that is,
uneven. I was so mad at the vet whee used to go to, for filing her teeth
down with high powered tools, leaving lots of abrasians in her mouth, and
for misdiagnosing that she had oral thrush.

I don't know what else to say about it but this vet was not cold hearted.
She just had NO clue. She did not want to learn any more. I cannot really
blame her. But she did have the heart to tell me about this other vet that
we currently go to.  I think she knew that she really had to help us in any
way ---even if that meant referring us to another vet.
Oh, I was very upset, yes. I was syringe-feeding Li'l Red for about two
months with Critical care and Critter Be Better.  Then I started mashing a
piece of banana in with the stuff, and now she loves them. She also is
seemingly addicted to rolled organic oats.  But she eats well now, and eats
the other stuff too. She still has not regained all her weight, but she is
such a strong girl and wants to be around with us.  Our new vet re-did her
teeth with regular hand tools like the kind The British Association of
Rodentology uses.
He also has Buccal Pad Separators that he used.
Now I am taking her brother, Cocoa, in tomorrow to see our new vet, Dr.
King. Cocoa has the same type of uneven front teeth.  His breath smelled
strong like Li'l Red's did.  Like yeast or something. i started to give him
the itraconazole and am gonna ask Dr. King to get another prescription for
us.  i want to take x-rays also to rule out stones.
BTW, Li'l Red has both eyes looking like they are getting cataracts. But she
seems to still see. Cocoa has one eye with a cataract but he can see from
the other eye.
Love,
Ellen and Precious Pigs