[Gpdd] CARE: Ari's Guinea Pigs

Anneli Cochrane arcochrane at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 16:39:53 EDT 2011

Ari,
I enjoyed the pictures of your pigs, they are very cute. I don't see
anything wrong with giving them as much pellets as they want unless you have
a pig with a weight problem. Mine have unlimited access to pellets and they
are not too fat and are happy and healthy. More vegetables is always good.
My pigs love carrots, romaine lettuce, cucumber, apples, parsley, broccoli,
etc. but some pigs are picky eaters; it's a experiment to see what your pigs
like.  I also have a book about guinea pig care that lists all the different
sounds they make and what they mean; I'm sure there is more than one thing
like that out there that you could get and read about.
Do you try and pick your pigs up? If you can trap them and then handle them
as much as possible they will become less skittish. It takes some time to be
able to pet them without them running away if you aren't holding on to them.
A couple of my younger pigs won't let me pet them in the cage, I have to
take them out and hold them in order for that to happen.
Good luck!
Anneli