[Gpdd] [Health}: Chico's lump

Mieke Staaks pandameisje at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 16:31:22 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I found lump in Chico's left back side this wednesday...
It looked really scabby and dry, and is about 1,5 cm (1/2") wide.
I took Chico to the vet in friday, and at first he thought is was a
sebaceous cyst.
But further examination (trying to get some fuild out of the lump) made
sure it wasn't that.
The vet also didn't think it was an infection after a bite or something...
He actually said he had never seen it in guinea pigs before,
but he advised me to have it removed.
Today I noticed Chico had somehow managed to open the lump up, and it
looked bloody.
I took him out of the cage, cleaned the 'wound' with some q-tips and water,
and then put on Dermiel cream. I got this cream after Chico's late cagemate
Toby,
had an abcess removed from his jaw...
The cream is anti bacterial and contains honey, and is said to heal wounds
better.

Feeling pretty unhappy with the vet not being able to tell me what it was
(but 30 euros lighter, with a surgery of 90-120 euros in the near future),
and this new development, I decided to have a look on guinealynx (why did I
think of that before...?).
I'm pretty much convinced this is a Trichofolliculomas, it matches the
complete description.
*Apparently this a the most common tumor in guineapigs, which makes me
doubt the expertise of the vet I saw a lot!*
*It is a benign tumor, and should be easy to remove, as it's usually just
in the (top of the) skin.*
The pigtures shown here also match how this looks with Chico:
http://www.guinealynx.info/trichofolliculoma.html
*
*
*I'm wondering if any of you have any experience with this kind of tumor?*
*I think it's best to have it removed, but would love to hear your thoughts
on this...*
*
*
Chico is about 4 years old now and makes a healthy impression on me,
so I think he will be fine going through surgery.
Anyways, your thoughts on this are appreciated.

Mieke and the Guiny girls Woopy, Lily and Daisy
and my Valentine Chico
--
"Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your living room"
Mary Schmich, 1997