[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Rimadyl

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Mon Oct 31 11:45:46 EDT 2011

There are many on line pet pharmacies that sell Rimadyl the generic name
is carprofen. You need a prescription. The important thing is the usual
dose is 10 mg twice a day. You may only be able to find 25 mg tablets
that you cut in half. That means you will be giving 12.5 mg if you give
half a pill. That small amount extra is not a problem because cavies are
very Rimadyl tolerant REF: BAR. The important thing is you want to buy
the non flavored tablets. Most chewable tablets are liver flavored and
your cavy will not like them. If you can not get your cavy to take a
half a tablet then just crush it and add some juice and syringe the
suspension to your piggy. Follow by giving more water or juice and
always give Rimadyl with food. At Dr. Bonsack's office we make up our
own Rimadyl solution from injectable Rimadyl and Ribena juice. This way
we can make up a 10 mg/ml solution and tell the owner to give 1.0 ml
twice a day. Then when we drop the dosage to 5 mg twice a day they only
have to give 0.5 ml to their piggy.I am not a vet but I volunteer for
Dr. Frank Bonsack DVM of Adventure Animal Hospital as a cavy health advisor.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.