[Gpdd] Health: SOOTY

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 13:24:07 EDT 2011

Julie,

I was so pleased to read that Sooty was doing so well and now, before I had
a chance to reply, he has a sore eye.

Not easy to say without seeing him, but this sounds like something that
happened to my late Bracken many years ago. I had all the piggies out on the
lawn, when a jet plane screamed overhead, scattering the piggies, who ran
for their shelters. In the melee, Bracken injured her eye. I guess that she
had a poke from somepig's claw in the rush.

Her eye looked as if a piece was missing from the middle and it transpired
that she had scratched the cornea. The vet put some green solution into her
eye and looked at it under a special light. ( I had the same thing done to
me at the ER when I managed to get a piece of glass in my own eye ). She had
a tube of fucithalmic eye cream from the vet. It took some time to heal but,
eventually, the damaged piece fell away, rather like removing a contact lens
and her eye was perfect underneath.

Bracken's eye had looked really horrible but healed up perfectly so I do
hope that this will happen with your beloved Sooty.

Optrex is good stuff. If you can buy the Optrex with added chloramphenicol
it is even better. Or an antibiotic eye cream from your vet - there are
several different ones. I have used both Tiacil and Chloramphenicol cream in
a tube from the Rodentologist for hay poked eyes.

When piggies have a hay poke or any such injury, their eye always clouds
over. This is the eye's way of protecting itself whilst the healing takes
place.

Hugs for Sooty.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.