[Gpdd] [HEALTH] SOOTY - Coccidiosis and diarrhea

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Thu Sep 15 14:24:29 EDT 2011

Coccidiosis is treated using Albon 5.0% oral suspension of
Sulfadimethoxine. Dose is 50 mg/kg orally once a day for 10 days. It is
a prescription drug in the USA. Reference Quesenberry and Carpenter:
Ferrets , Rabbits and Rodents and British Association of Rodentologists
(BAR). Diarrhea can be treated with kaolin plus pectin known as
Kaopectate. Dose 0.5-1.0 ml every 2-4 hours. Do not use for more than 2
days. Imodium is also safe to use. Maximum dose in 24 hours is orally
2.0 mg. If you have Imodium Instants you can take one sheet and dissolve
it in 1.0 ml water and give orally. This will be equivalent to 2.0 mg of
Imodium. Reference: BAR. You can use children's or adult imodium
anti-diarrheal liquid.  Generic name is Loperamide Hydrochloride. Start
with a dose of 1.0 ml every 2- 4 hours according to BAR.  Do not use for
longer than 2 days. Give orally 40 ml of liquid/day Pedialyte or Lectade
or Dioralyte human rehydration fluids are the best in the case of
diarrhea.I am not a vet but I volunteer for Dr. Frank Bonsack DVM of
Adventure Animal Hospital as a cavy health advisor.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.