[Gpdd] CARE: How to identify identical piglets

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 04:19:20 EDT 2011

I once had a litter of five baby agoutis here at Piggyfriends. Four of them
were abbies, the fifth being a ridgeback and the abbies seemed identical at
first. Once these four had been sexed and separated, I had two boys and two
girls, which halved the problem. To begin with I had difficulty telling
which was which of the two pairs but as they grew I could tell them apart
through their behaviour. Just a slight nuance in their daily lives meant
that I knew which was which ( I think ) but I don't believe that anyone else
noticed this. Being with them every day should help you in identification.

I know someone who has two identical black rex boars and she calls them,
collectively, the Pods ( as in two peas in a pod ) but she can tell them
apart in the same way that I could identify my agoutis. The mother and
sister of the Pods belong to my Rodentologists. One of these piggies has two
white hairs amongst the black and it may be that one or more of your
lookalikes may develop some characteristic that will help you. Maybe a
slight difference in ear shape.

As for the bald patches in the centre of the whorls, this does not sound
like ringworm, just the gap where the hair parts. Keep an eye on this
anyway.

I agree with Sandy, the nail polish is bound to come off and you will be
back to square one.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.