[Gpdd] MISC.: Guido

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 07:08:49 EDT 2011

Janna,

I am so sorry to read of the loss of your dear piggy, Guido and send my
condolences not only to you but to Batman who recently lost his friend Robin
and now Guido too.

Guido's story is heartbreaking and a salutary lesson to every slave to keep
up the worming protocol for their precious piggies. Everyone worms their cat
or dog so why not their piggy too?

Worm eggs can be picked up from hay, grass, veggies, fruits...... They are
everywhere and the finest way to keep piggies safe is to worm them
regularly.

Do take Batman into the vets to get him wormed. Ivermectin will kill some
nasty parasites but you also need to treat with Panacur, which is actually a
sheep wormer but is perfect for piggies too.

Every pig in my herd gets a dose of both Ivermectin and Panacur every three
months and I keep a chart so that no pig is ever missed. I have done this
for years and used to buy these products from my vet. He always said that I
knew more about pigs than he did and was happy to sell me these meds but
would treat individual piggies when asked. Now I can buy them from my
Rodentologists.

In the UK vets are required to prescribe wormer on demand but I understand
from Ann that this is not the case elsewhere so here is a link to Ann's
worming page, which gives not only details of the protocol but where to
obtain these meds if your vet is unwilling to help.

http://piggyville.com/index.php?id=9

Re the Critical Care being given to healthy pigs. I do not use this
particular product but I syringe feed any piggy who is not getting enough
food on his/her  own. My Copper, otherwise healthy, had to have a tooth trim
last week and was not eating well afterwards so I syringe fed him for a few
days whilst his sore mouth recovered. Now he is eating for England again. It
is always necessary to keep the food coming in one way or another to avoid
gut stasis.

If you rehome a new piggy to be a friend for Batman, please get him onto the
worming protocol too.

With my deepest sympathy on your sad loss.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.