[Gpdd] [Care] Batman

warmbreath warmbreath at comcast.net
Wed Sep 21 03:41:18 EDT 2011

Here’s a couple more care tips I didn’t want to make the first email about Guido too long
With adult males you have to clean the scrotum with Q-tips, it gets cheesy stuff built up in the slot between testicles and down inside between the penis and anus. As they age they may get their poos built up and impacted in there too, this is not a fun job, but must be done.  Also extrude the penis gently all the way as their sheaths get all gummed up with their secretions,  I use vegetable oil to clean and lubricate. Don’t use any harsh cleaners down there or anything that would taste bad. Use different Q-tips for the "slot" and penis. Figure out a bathing routine that works for your piggy. I clean their nether area as above before I bathe them, them again just before I rinse them in the bath.  As messy as it sounds I like keeping boars the best.

Other than that you need a cleaning schedule that keeps them their cage very clean. I use thick recycled newspaper a little of the processed paper bedding and hay. Many here use towels and wash them daily.

Your question about Critical Care. It's made from alfalfa hay so its to high calorie for an adult piggy on an on going basis, but there's no reason not to supplement with it when you suspect compromise. For a grown boar Timothy hay pellets, timothy or grass hay, romaine and other none high calcium greens and veggies are best. A tiny nub of banana is good because you can hide pills in it and it has lots of potassium.  I would  wonder about an immune system booster without knowing what's in it, and whether one is necessary at all as long as Vit C or Vit C foods are given, 50mg. max per day is needed as a supplement, but you need to be consistent. Avoid sweet fruits and veggies, carrots should be limited to a baby carrot size, they are sweet and have lots of Vit A., a piggy can get too much of each
Sandy and Sammy