[Gpdd] HEALTH- Clover has a URI

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 05:11:22 EDT 2011

Jaime,

Poor Clover. I am glad that he is with you where he will be treated
correctly.

The piggy antibiotic of choice of my Rodentologists is Septrin Paediatric
Suspension and on the box it says that it contains 200mg. sulfamethoxazole
so it would appear to be the same med. Perhaps someone in the US can confirm
this. Perhaps Ann is back with us.

Their advice is to give 1ml. twice a day so that is not far short of what
you have been advised and Clover is a very big piggy.

I am not familiar with the eye ointment that you have been given but others
that I have used ( fucithalmic, tiacil and chloramphenicol ) say 3 -4 times
a day on the box.

Watch his breathing carefully for signs of a URI.

The conditions at this shelter are dreadful! Is there a higher authority to
whom you can complain? Are all HL places ruled by a governing body that
could sort this out?

If anyone fosters an animal from our local independent shelter, they can be
taken to see the in house vet free of charge. Similarly, if an animal is
adopted, they can go back to see the vet free for the first three weeks.
Does something like this not apply with the HL? Maybe their vet is not that
reliable if he/she can countenance the way the small animals are treated.

Sending our love and best wishes for Clover's recovery.

Please give him a big hug from us all.

Penny and the Piggyfriends ( in England for any newcomer who is wondering
about my vagueness with the drug names. Nearly everything here has a
different name to that in the US. I don't know about other countries. )