[Gpdd] HEALTH- Clover has a URI

warmbreath warmbreath at comcast.net
Mon Sep 26 05:52:36 EDT 2011

I am so sorry to hear that Clover has a URI.  Ann is out, I’m pretty sure.  In reading over her previous advice she advises speed getting a vet involved as a URI can take a life quickly

Overall Ann recommends an antibiotic like Baytril or Bactrim, an analgesic like Rimadyl, LASIX for fluid retention so she can breath if fluid builds up, Pedialyte to make sure she stays hydrated, probiotics to keep her digestion going although this can be dropped in favor of feeding with Critical Care or Critter-B-Better as both have probiotics included. The C-B-B also comes in pellet form if Clover is eating on her own.

You can sprinkle the powdered version of either on her romaine or mix with water and syringe or spoon feed.
If you can hear a clicking with her breathing that’s when you give the LASIX making sure to keep her hydrated with water or Pedialyte as the LASIX pushes water out of her body whether or not there’s enough coming in.  Also many recommend a dab of VICs under the nose.

Your vet may want to do a chest X-ray to find out if there is fluid accumulated around the heart or in the lungs, rarely a tumor will show that pushes on the heart or lungs.
Rimadyl is used for both pain relief and to keep down inflammation, it is an NSAID, Ann thinks it safer than Metacam.

BAR (British Assoc. of Rodentologists) recommends the Lasix. Continue the Vicks 2-3 times/day.
Also syringe her room temperature Pedialyte. In any case of a lung
infection an anti inflammatory must be given. BAR recommends Rimadyl
Dose 10 mg twice a day for 3 days then 5 mg twice a day for the
remainder of the time she is on Bactrim.

I also found a message that says Velvets vet gave Baytril 0.45ml twice a day. I don’t know Velvets weight. to know how it translate to Clover
Bactrim was used for Peggy Sue, Dosage not given.

Guinealynx.info has info on URI here http://www.guinealynx.info/uri.html  Among the symptoms they give crusty eyes so I think your diagnosis is correct

BAR Care sheets are avail here http://britishassociationofrodentologists.co.uk/ESW/Files/Product_Catalogue_2010.pdf  but they aren’t viewable online