[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Batman's vet visit and Guido's worms

warmbreath warmbreath at comcast.net
Tue Sep 27 20:03:33 EDT 2011

Dear Janna

Thank you for writing us back re the pinworms. I vaguely remember an
infection when I was 4 yrs., along with my brother and sister, so yes people
do get them. Many of us use a protocol for worming using both ivermectin and
Panacur, given as liquid suspension. The protocol  is given here by our own
Ann Evans
http://piggyville.com/index.php?id=9. She gives a complete description for
both American and British cavy parents.

We buy can ivermectin online from amazon.com, Panacur usually requires a
prescription which your vet can give you, then go to Drs Foster and Smith
online or 1 800 pet meds or she buys it from the UK and gives the address to
order from.

The granules sounds very inexact.  We use a 2.5% solution of Panacur oral
suspension, and measure in a syringe. Both meds are refrigerated. Both
should be used as they kill different critters.  Do read from Ann's protocol
which is slightly modified from the recommendation of the BAR, British
Association of Rodentologists and the CCT or Cambridge Cavy Trust in Oxford.

The liquid doses are pulled up into a syringe with the needle removed and
then fed gently by mouth.  Treats follow as Panacur is bitter.  A bottle of
ivermectin costs about $40 and lasts quite a long time, so you can buddy up
with a friend, or since you are seeing the vet, ask him to give you enough
of each to last a while.

Some American vets who treat mostly cats and dogs will treat in the office
sometimes by needled syringe to give as a shot but this is completely
unnecessary and poses some risk as does any injection from a possible
infection at the needle site. It's very clean and simple to do at home by
mouth although the vet can give the first oral dose to make sure you know
how to do it.

Many of us also follow Ann's advice on bathing our piggies.  I use Adams
shampoo or generic that has 0.15% pyrethrins like Adams Flea and Tick
Shampoo.(round blue plastic bottle rather than the oval, although packaging
can change, read label every time. I buy it at the big box store or grocery
or online from Drs. Foster Smith at 1-800-381-7179 or
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/ . They also have a cheaper generic with the
exact same ingredients.  Make sure the shampoo bottle doesn’t say it gives
lost lasting protection against eggs, that requires a different active
ingredient that is harmful to piggies.

This info is designed to supplement Ann's web site her information is more
superior than mine. I am a piggy slave/ mommy of many years, Ann is a
student of the CCT and BAR and her web site gives her credentials and
disclaimer as she is not a vet.

Also please know a cat cant have ivermectin, they are much more sensitive to
the dosage and can end up staggering around for hours, even go temporarily
blind, and die, so they get wormed another way.

I was  wondering if your vet thought the pin worms were secondary to the
cause of Guido's death, were coincidental and what he thought may have been
the actual cause of his passing understanding that he didn’t have a chance
to examine him.   best regards, Sandy and Sammy, remembering Guido

"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be
normal." Albert Camus
"I want to remake the world; anything less is not worth the trouble." Karen
Cushman