[Gpdd] [CARE] Just rescued a pair, new to GPs, what am I doing wrong?

Dragonfly chaos.dragonfly at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 15:55:30 EDT 2011

Hello. I just found myself obligated to rescue a bonded pair of guinea
pigs (supposedly both female, I haven't checked) last week. I have zero
experience, I normally rescue hamsters but I couldn't leave them where
they were. My apologies for the length.

Their previous situation: no litter boxes, in a large grid cube style
cage (2x4 squares, 1 square high, 1.5in spacings, with this white
plastic liner stuff) with a soiled blanket bottom. They were fed
unlimited alfalfa-based pellets (small world brand) and very rarely
given small bits of romaine and tomato. They had a single sipper-type
water bottle, with old water in it. Their only hiding spot was a small
cloth they'd crawl under, only toys were three tiny cloth balls. Their
previous two owners did not "do the hay thing" (whatever that means),
and claimed they did not like any vegetables other than romaine and
tomato. They apparently were fed pellets and water only.

What I have done:
* immediately cleaned cage, water bottle, blanket, and food dish
* added two aspen shaving filled "litter" boxes, open-top with one side
cut low
* added timothy hay in cardboard box with side cut-outs
* added a dish-style water bottle in addition to their sipper bottle
* first day unlimited pellets, second day restricted pellets to 8tbsp
per day of old pellets, third day 8tbsp mixed half old pellets and half
timothy-based zupreem branded pellets (total, not per guinea pig)
* added a few cardboard paper toilet and paper towel tubes as toys
* three-four times a day hand-feeding small pieces of green leaf
lettuce, cilantro, cucumber, carrot, parsley - one new veggie per day.
They ADORE every bit and are obviously demanding more but I'm worried
about giving them too many veggies too quickly and upsetting their
digestion... ??

On the third day I added:
* cardboard "tunnel" structure to hide in
* wire hay ball stuffed with oxbow "orchard grass" hay (my bunny's fav
treat hay, very fragrant)
* corn husk ball toy
* a third aspen-filled box, since they seem to prefer laying in them
than on the blanket

My questions: Can I assume that the usual list of bunny safe vegetables
is also safe for guinea pigs? I can copy my list of bunny-safe veggies
if needed. What info I could find online was very confusing and
seemingly contradictory, especially about diet.

How much veggies per guinea pig should I be aiming for? And how quickly
can I increase the amount of veggies?

The zupreem pellets claim not less than 500ppm of vit C (stabilized),
will that be adequate? Or should I offer bits of chewable vit C, or
drops (I know, not in the water!)?

They seem to be eating small amounts of cardboard, and aspen shavings.
Is this a problem?

I am nonverbal, I can't speak. My bunny doesn't mind but he's not vocal
like the guinea pigs are, they are always "talking"!! And of course I
can't reply. :( Will this be detrimental to their wellbeing?

Finally, the smaller one has a bald patch about 2cm square behind one of
her ears, she came that way and I've no idea what happened there. Should
I be worried about this?

I want them to be as happy as possible, and I feel so inadequate right
now. It's no comfort that whatever I do can't help but be better than
before, I guess at least I know enough to give them hay. I want them to
be as happy and healthy as possible.

Ari