[Gpdd] Health: Roos, can she smell?

Mieke Staaks pandameisje at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 17:46:36 EDT 2012

Hi all,

Not to worry Roos is doing pretty well, but as I might have told you it
seems like Roos is afraid of veggies.
Or to us trying to feed it to her...
She has settled in nicely, but need a lot of convincing before she starts
eating her veggies,
which is usually after the others try finish their veggies, and start
trying to eat hers...

I am wondering if it is possible that Roos cannot smell?
I have noticed when she had just arrived she would sneeze sometimes,
but her longs sound good and I haven't heard it anymore...
It might be she has a cold which disturbs her ability to smell?

Why do we think this?
Today I had some very strong smelling basil leaves left over (or actually I
kept it apart for the girls)
that we went to feed the girlz.
Roos would run away from basil as she does for all veggies, even when I
held it right under her nose.
When I held the basil above Woopy's head, she would practically turn
herself up side down,
to reach the basil, she couldn't see it, so she must have smelled it...
Roos doesn't do that at all, it's like she can't smell it
She also needed a lot of convincing to eat her cucumber earlier today...

Does anyone know if this is a possibility?
And if it is, would that be a problem?

Of course I realize there are other options,
she's really scared and won't eat in my presence, but once if put her in my
lap she seems to calm down...
She's not curious, about unknown smells?
She doesn't like the smell of Basil?

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

I also want to thank all who send me messages about Chico, and welcoming
Roos!
Our sincere condolences and good vibes to Virgils owners and to everyone
who lost a piggy recently.
Also the best of luck to anyone nursing an ill piggy, hope they get well
soon.

Another side note, we send our undercover guinea pigs calendar donation to
the winning rescue:
Glynneath guinea pig rescue. We received a really nice thank you message
from Suzanne of the shelter.
M posted her message to our blog, and Suzanne promised to send in a pigture
when the feed she will buy from it for the piggies will arrive!

Wheeks,
Mieke and the Guinygirlz:
Woopy, Lily, Daisy and Roos

--
"Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your living room"
Mary Schmich, 1997