[Gpdd] MISC: The Great clipping of the clawsq

Lynn Williams mlwilliams at clear.net
Sun Apr 22 16:27:38 EDT 2012

Hi piggy friends,

We had the "Clipping of the Claws" today.  (Big sigh)  We attempted it the other day with Eve but it didn't go so well.  First she wriggled, whined and wheeked; then she squiggled, squirmed and squeaked.  Then, she made a dive for my right armpit under my jaket and shoved her head in there and dug her claws into my shirt and she wasn't budging, by golly!  In the midst of all this, Earl did manage to  get 1 toenail in his grasp but when he went to clip it, it just sort of squished the nail instead of cutting it.  I don't know if it is because they're still young and their nails are softer or if our cutters have grown dull.  So, yesterday, we went and bought some new good clippers and today we decided to try it again but this time, we would start with Callie, who, by the way, is supposedly the calmer  of the two.  HA!  Now,  keep in mind, I am totally blind and Earl's eyes aren't the best so usually, I hold the pig and he uses a magnifying glass that is on a gooseneck stand and is accompanied by a bright  light so he can see the little toesies well.   Callie gave me as much trouble as did Eve.  I finally had to more or less flatten her against my chest while I faced Earl and the magnifier between us.  I then used my finger to ease out one little back foot at a time to be clipped.  She raised Cain the whole time and kept biting my thumbs.  And it wasn't nipping.. It was down and dirty biting!  She finally got her teeth on my thumbnail which happens to be longer than my others and latched on.  I just let her hold it.  If that's what it took to make her happy, fine with me!  We abandoned ship when it came to doing the front ones.  She wasn't having any part of it and was so stressed out by then, we figured they could wait a little bit.  They weren't as long and sharp as her back ones.  Then, we gave her some  of the new treats that I just bought from Sweet Meadow Far, which by the way, they loved.  She stuck her head in the bag and grabbed a mouthful.  I stroked her for a minute and then put her back in the cage.  Then it was Eve's turn.  We had about the same results as we did with  her the first time except that this time, there was a casualty.  She kept jerking her back feet just as Earl would go to clip it.  This time, he clipped just as she jerked and she got nipped.  She, of course, screamed and then wheeked pitifully.  I, of course, felt horribly guilty and like the worst Mommy in the world.  After that, we let her front paws go for the time being as well.  I was dripping wet with sweat by the time it was all over!  In all, it took about 45 minutes.  But, they are both back in their nice fresh, clean cage now and going about their piggy business so I think they are OK.  I think I need to find a place around here that will clip themfor me without charging a fortune.  Lord have mercy, what a day!  Sammy & Tabby were nowhere this difficult to clip!

Hugs, wheeks and whisker kisses,

Lynn, Callie & Eve with Samantha & Tabitha in our hearts and memories.