[Gpdd] Health - Velvet & Oynx

julie juliejohnson12 at bigpond.com
Wed Aug 1 08:37:37 EDT 2012

Dear Glynis, I am devastated to read your further posting on more troubles.

The first thing I thought of in relation to the aggressive behaviour
was...... can both girls be put into separate cages, but placed right by the
side of the other so they can see and smell the other piggy.   Maybe in the
piggy world, as in the bird world, the well piggy just picks on the sick
one?

I would definitely keep the critical care going for both piggies.   I know
critical care contains ingredients which are supposed to help make the piggy
hungry.    When I give it to Sooty he always goes back to his caqe and
starts eating grass.

Also, because my piggies are generally always dicey in the health stakes, I
also judge their health by their poops.   If they are soft, or not as many
in the cage as normally there is in the morning.   Usually there are at
least 50/60 poops in some of my boys cages, others just don't do as much.
I have studied them intently and so can often judge if one piggy is a little
off.

In relation to Velvet, I am so distressed that she has cancer.   Does that
mean it's either mammary cancer or ovarian cancer?    If it is mammary
cancer, and you have a really good vet, it doesn't have to mean the end.  I
found a vet who is good with operating, and after Hamish had two mammary
glands removed because he had adenocarcinoma (a deadly strain), he managed
to live another 2 1/2 years.

I don't know anything about ovarian cancer.  I just know in 2 legged women
it can be nasty, but not sure about our baby girls.

And another thing I just thought of........ if Velvet & Onyx are best mates,
it could be that Onyx is actually staying by her side, and perhaps is not
eating as much because she is fretting for her mate.   That's what happened
with Honey after Hamish died.   Honey just gave in on eating, which started
his teeth problems and subsequently I had to have him put to sleep.  He just
did not want to live without his Hamish. Give Onyx heaps & heaps of cuddles
so she can try to bond more seriously with you, just in case.

Some of my piggies simply go crazy over parsley, romaine lettuce, even sweet
corn, and tomato.   Maybe you could go overboard with some of those
favourite foods they like until they get back to eating.

It seems to be as they age, they are more susceptible to more problems.
Some piggies age more quickly than others in their health aspect.

Maybe even give them probiotics, because if there's any upset in the tummy
because of the stress, it might create a more settled feeling in their gut?
Pain would stop them from eating.

Could their teeth be starting to overgrow?

The butt baths sound a good idea.... but because of the cold, maybe you
could use some of the baby wet wipes, which would clean the area, and
possibly add a nicer fragrance, and make piggies feel better.   I know they
are clean animals and do not like to live in mucky environments.   Even use
a hairdryer (very carefully not to burn) if the wetwipes leave the backsides
too wet.  Or use cotton balls soaked in plain warm water, and cuddle piggy
until dry.

Another thing which I find piggies like when they are unwell is a warm hot
water bottle placed near their inner tent so they can lean against it, or
move away from it should it not be wanted.   I know how having a hot water
bottle tends to relax my mum at night, and maybe it could work for the
girls?

I am so very, very, sorry Glynis.   I am indeed praying so hard for Velvet
to get a good report when she's opened up.

I know you probably won't get any sleep whilst all this is happening, maybe
you could just take some naps to keep your strength up to cope with it all.
And remember my friend, you have my phone number, call me if you need to
talk, or want support, or just want to cry.   I will always be here for you
Glynis.   I just wish I lived closer so I could give you help and relieve
you so you can nap properly.

I know how very much you love your girls, and these things that happen to
our piggies are so cruel and just unfair and tear our hearts to pieces.
Our piggies are our two-legged children.

God Bless you, Velvet, and Onyx.

Lots of love
Julie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx