[Gpdd] HEALTH: Healthy herbs

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 07:52:17 EDT 2012

Good move Mimi! I cannot abide peppers and have never offered them to the
Piggyfriends. Nasty veggies that remind you that you have eaten them long
after the taste has gone. Yuk!  Packed full of Vit C but so are many really
nice veggies.

Joanie and the Beautifuls - The mainstays of the Piggyfriends' menu are
carrots and their leaves, cucumber, celery and its leaf, cauliflower leaves
( not the curd ), broccoli, parsley, romaine, spring greens and kale. They
get piles of grass and other forage. In the fruit line, they have apples (
cut up small to avoid mouth sores ) and melon with its rind (but take out
the seeds).  A few like banana and tomato, which they either love or
ignore.  An occasional chicory or beetroot leaf is a tasty treat. Beetroot
colours the urine red so don't be alarmed by this. Fresh runner beans are
appreciated but this year looks like being a poor crop due to the rotten
weather. If one piggy doesn't like something, his/her neighbour will.
Nothing is ever wasted.

When foraging for the piggies yesterday, I found some groundsel. I missed
that one from my list of good herbs the other day. There was a stampede of
tiny feet when I gave it out. It's a tiny plant so there was only a little
for each piggy. It is laxative so that was just as well.

If you forage for piggy food make sure that you can correctly identify the
plants. Chickweed, which they love, looks a little like scarlet pimpernel
to the untrained eye. The latter is toxic as is ragwort, which Galen's
Garden reckon might be mistaken for groundsel.

Penny and the Piggyfriends,