[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Barney's teeth

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Thu Aug 16 20:40:05 EDT 2012

Cavies have 20 teeth that are all constantly growing. If Barney broke
one of his top incisors it will grow back. No action on your part is
required. The incisors wear down by the lower incisor wearing against
the back of the top incisor. This wearing motion forms a caudal notch on
the back side of the top incisor. You should be able to see the caudal
notch on the remaining top incisor. The 16 molars wear down primarily
through the action of chewing on hay or other grasses that contain fibre
and silica. This is why it is so important to feed cavies free choice
hay. I am not a vet but I volunteer for Dr. Frank Bonsack DVM of
Adventure Animal Hospital as a cavy health advisor.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.