[Gpdd] Re HEALTH Metacam and Ibuprofen again

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 12:16:08 EST 2012

I hope that Mr. Brownie is soon running around again.

That was kind of the vet to acknowledge all the work done by the
Rodentologists in England. So many vets are set in their ways and refuse to
accept that there might be better methods than those they learned in vet
school.

No, you should not use metacam and ibuprofen at the same time as that would
constitute an overdose of analgesia.

I always use children's ibuprofen ( labelled Nurofen in the UK ) when any
of my herd needs it.So do my Rodentologists. A bottle of it is ever present
in my piggy first aid box, which contains many human remedies, which are
eminently suitable for guineas. As you so rightly say, it is much cheaper
than metacam and you don't have to pay the vet's consultation fee as it is
available without prescription at the pharmacy.

All the best to Mr. Brownie. Do let us know how he gets on. I can't imagine
a piggy following the RICE protocol!

Penny and the Piggyfriends.

The usual disclaimer applies. I have no veterinary training but learned
from the best - Peter, my wonderful vet and my equally wonderful
Rodentologists.