[Gpdd] HEALTH: Food

Sandra Oliver-Poore warmbreath at comcast.net
Sun Feb 5 02:16:01 EST 2012

You might try mixing in some Alfalfa hay with their timmy hay if they are
undernourished and do not have kidney or stone problems as alfalfa is higher
in calories but also higher in protein and calcium than timmy which is
normally not desirable, but that manna is sweet if I remember and that isn't
good at all for them and that sweetness may be what is ruining their
appetite for regular food, and can quickly lead to diabetes. Critter B
Better comes pelletized and is very healthy and good for underweight
piggies.  How much do they weigh?  Maybe they are a good weight, we are used
to seeing chunky piggies. Also if they are getting no Vit C fresh food then
they need a supplement 30 mg to 50 mg day, the Critter B better fixes that
as does any high quality pellet if they eat enough of it, I supplement Sammy
with C as he prefers hay to pellets.

Did you ever figure out the cause of the diarrhea? Check for Giardia or
clostridium? Both have affected piggies on our digest.  Pleased make sure
they get their parasite protocol every 3 months. With parasites accounted
for, diarrhea is just not common esp food caused unless the odd ingestible
fruit is present and I know you haven't used those.   That's why I bring
this subject up again. We had one case where antibiotics masked the presence
of giardia symptom wise, but the parasite ended up killing the pig as it
wasn’t treated completely with the flagyl. These are the latest words I have
from Ann Evans on the diarrhea subject "Diarrhea is caused by parasites,
giardia being one of them but can also be caused by fungi and bloody
diarrhea is almost always clostridium. But you are correct flagyl will kill
bacteria and some parasites. Dose 40 mg/ml PO 0.4 ml  BID for 10-14 days.
(the conversation was about flagyl for giardia, if giardia antibiotics and
anti inflammatories like Rimadyl are also given to help repair the damage
giardia does, these brackets are my words, but please keep in mind that
antibiotics alone will not cure giardia)
Sandy with Sammy and AR at sea