[Gpdd] Health: Puff's vet visit

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 07:29:02 EST 2012

If I were a vet, I would want to learn everything that I could to help my
little patients. Most vets are so stuck in their ways. The vet that is used
by our Rodentologists, when they actually need an invasive procedure done,
often calls them with piggy questions. She is young and there is every
possibility that she can be educated in piggy ways.

The vets here have buccal separators for use on bunnies under anaesthetic
and are quite unsuitable for piggies, who need the little, dainty
instruments that always remind me of the wire from a dismembered wooden
clothes peg.

It would not take a vet long to learn how to clip piggies teeth without the
need for a risky anaesthetic and these little tools can be bought on the
internet.

With the separators in place, it is easy to see every little tooth and
check for any soreness resulting from an overgrown molar. My Rodentologists
do a dental exam as part of a general piggy health check. That way, trouble
can be averted before it gets worse and takes but a few moments.

The thickening of the jaw (albeit a small amount) struck alarm bells with
me .I've don't think that we have ever seen Puff. She is not a Satin by any
chance?

Penny and the Piggyfriends.