[Gpdd] Misc: What pellets do you feed your guinea pigs?

ANDREW SILL jaggs4 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 12 19:57:17 EST 2012

Dear Digest Slaves,
our local seed and feed will not be stocking Oxbow food,They now want to carry
this brand called"Lavain". I have included the ingredients of both the oxbow and
the Lavain for comparison. Just wanted your opinion if this would be a bad
switch for the Misfits. I must agree the cost of the Lavain is way cheaper then
I buy the Oxbow at. but I am more concerned on the goodness of the food.

Love to hear what you think,
Jean(misfits)

Lavain guinea food:

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
Crude Protein (Min) 17.00%
Crude Fat (Min) 3.00%
Crude Fiber (Max) 22.00%
Moisture (Max) 12.00%
INGREDIENTS
Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Soybean Meal, Wheat Middlings, Oat Groats, Extruded
Whole Soybeans, Ground Rice Hulls, Dicalcium Phosphate, Ground Corn, Kibbled
Corn, Potassium Chloride, Dried Carrots, Dried Raisins, Dried Papaya, Dried
Bananas, Salt, Rolled Oats, DL-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Powdered Cellulose,
Sodium Bentonite, L-Lysine Monohydrochloride, Calcium Propionate, Dried Cane
Molasses, Magnesium Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Mineral Oil, Cobalt Sulfate, Zinc
Oxide, Zinc Proteinate, Yucca Schidegera Extract, Papain, Manganese Oxide,
Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Niacin Supplement,
Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Riboflavin
Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin B-12
Supplement, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried
Lactobacillus Lactis Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Plantarum
Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried
Enterococcus Fermentation Product, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of
Vitamin K Activity), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Folic
Acid, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Silicon Dioxide, Mixed Tocopherols (A
Preservative), Beta Carotene, Soybean Oil, Citric Acid (A Preservative),
Lecithin, Rosemary Extract, Added FD&C Colors (Red #3, Red #40, Yellow #5, Blue
#1), Titanium Oxide.

Oxbow guinea food:
Ingredients: Timothy Grass Meal, Soybean Hulls, Wheat Middlings, Soybean Meal,
Cane Molasses, Salt, L-ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Vitamin C), Limestone, Yeast
Culture (Saccharomyces cerevisiae), Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement,
Vitamin E Supplement (Tocopherol), Ascorbic Acid, Colloidal Silica, Menadioninee
Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K), Riboflavin, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12
Supplement, Pantothenic Acid, Biotin, Thiamine, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine,
Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Magnesium Sulfate,
Ferrous Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Manganese Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Sulfate,
Copper Sulfate, Mineral Oil, Calcium Iodate, and Potassium Chloride.
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein 14.00% min  Salt 0.50% min
Crude Fat 1.50% min  Salt 1.00% max
Crude Fiber 25.00% min  Vitamin A 20,000 IU/kg
Crude Fiber 28.00% max  Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) 400 mg/kg
Moisture 10.00% max  Vitamin D 880 IU/kg
Calcium 0.35% min  Vitamin E 140 IU/kg
Calcium 1.85% max  Copper 20 mg/kg
Phosphorus 0.25% min